This quaint village with Star Lake and Lake Nineva as features combines with an active community commited to its future while retaining the past.
31,241 Acres of Land
48.81 Square Miles
72.8 miles of town roads
Town Offices (802) 259-2391 Hours Monday-Thursday 8:30AM to 4PM.
Chartered October 31, 1792 and located at an altitude 1,540 feet a leftover wedge of land between Wallingford and Ludlow was granted to Abraham Jackson and 29 others in 1781. The association was apparently not a happy one, because ten years later, residents petitioned the Legislature for a town of their own. The request was met, and Mount Holly is the result.
There is no real explanation for the name. Taken on face value, the "Mount" part is relatively simple, the town being surrounded by mountains, making it sensible to create a separate town. "Holly" may have been just a word the residents found pleasant- sounding. Another possibility, slim though it may be, relates to the earliest settlers of the area having been Quakers. In 1676, the sect had purchased land in New Jersey and named it Mount Holly. The name of Vermont's town may have been a remembrance of one of the group's first sanctuaries in the US.
Villages of Mt Holly
Never having a population of more than 1,600 (1870). The town of Mt Holly has more named villages than many others twice the size.
Belmont: Once known as Mechanicsville for the large number of mills and manufacturing concerns there, the most central village is now known as Belmont located between West of Rt 103 and East of Rt 155, Belmont is a bit different in that it is more like a village. Although it attracts skiers, it is also very much a summer place due to its beautiful locale bordering Star Lake.
Bowlsville: Named for a factory that once made wooden bowls.
Goodellville: Home of the former J.A.Goodell sawmill and chair factory.
Healdville: Named the village's first postmaster.
Hortonville: Named for some half-dozen familes by that name in the immediate area.
Tarbellville: Named for Marshall Tarbell, who owned a cheese plant, a sawmill and a blacksmith shop in addition to the largest rake factory in New England at the time.
Summit: A location between Healdville and the village of Mount Holly known as Summit (sometimes Summit Station) is where the final spike was driven into the Central Vermont Railway line linking Burlington and Boston.
All are part of Mt Holly a classic Vermont town with a great history.
Local Mt Holly
Okemo Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce
Clock Tower Building
Ludlow, VT 05149
A Regional Chamber of Commerce operating the Chester and Ludlow Chambers of Commerce. Services and benifits provided to business located in Cavendish, Chester, Ludlow, Mt Holly, Weston and Plymouth, Grafton and Springfield. For information on please click links. Contact us by phone.
Mount Holly School
150 School St.
Mt. Holly, VT 05858
Mt Holly Historical Society
Belmont, VT 05730
Mt Holly Community Historical Museum Open July and August Weekends 2 to 4 PM Lory Doolittle, Chair
Vacation In Okemo Valley Vermont... New England
Vermont Makes it Special
Golf in Vermont
Sports & Recreation
Corporate Meetings & Retreats
Historic and Cultural Heritage
Where is Okemo Valley
Chester Crafts Fair
Overture to Christmas
Winter Carnival 2005
Okemo Valley Music Series
Vermont State Zucchini Festival
Places to Stay
Bed & Breakfasts
Motels and Hotels
Places to Eat
Clubs and Organizations
Health and Wellness
Real Estate Offices
Places to Shop
Home and Garden
Apparel and Sporting Goods
Art, Crafts and Antiques
Business After Hours